Happy Independence Day Uruguay, 197 years of freedom ringing across the country’s beautiful landscape. Just for fun here are 5 facts about Uruguay!
- Uruguay is the smallest Spanish speaking country in South America. Despite its size, Uruguay sends more troops to the United Nations peacekeeping missions than any other country.
- Uruguay consumes the most beef (per person) in the world. There are actually more cows than people in the country which is helpful for this statistic.
- The 1st World Cup was hosted by Uruguay. In 1930, after soccer had been dropped from the Olympics, Uruguay host and won the first World Cup. They had won the two previous Olympic gold medal matches as well, making them an unstoppable force.
- Uruguay uses 100% renewable resources for electricity. This makes it one of the most progressive countries in the world.
- Uruguay has the oldest population of all of South America. There has to be something in the water or the beef diet in order to reach this statistic. The new generations are proportionally less and less than the healthy older population.
Enjoy your independence day!